The following are tips to help prevent you from liability:
- Make sure your property is well-lit. You don’t want people slipping, falling and tripping on your steps.
- Avoid overloading electrical sockets and keep candles away from kids. Both can reduce a fire hazard.
- If you are throwing a party, consider the number of drinks your guests consume to clear you of an alcohol– related injury.
Safety experts say people should be mindful that injuries also happen on the road.
“When the pedestrians are in the cross walk vehicles need to stop for them but pedestrians also need to realize that they don’t always have the right away so they need to be careful and look both ways before crossing so its safe.” said Robin Black of the Rapid City Police Department. “And when possible, use a cross walk.”
Officer Black also recommends the following:
- Drivers should slow down. Maintaining a slow speed makes drivers more alert of pedestrians.
- Parents should accompany young children.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Utilize well-lit streets.
- Always walk on the sidewalk.
Remember, getting sued for an injury or death can be even scarier than ghosts and goblins.