It’s pretty scary Americans will spend $5.8 billion on Halloween this year. Not to worry, there are some thrifty tricks you can easily pull out of a hat.
- Get crafty and try to make your own costume
- Avoid Halloween superstores
- Borrow from a friend
- They are irresistible but skip the pet costumes
- Shop the dollar section for decorations
- Utilize natural beauty, such as fall harvest items
- Buy trick–or–treating candy in bulk
- Shut off your lights
Some people are even turning to social networking sites to help them cut costs this Halloween.
“I went on facebook and I asked my friends if they possibly had a Dorothy costume that we could borrow or buy at a cheaper price and I got a ton of responses,” said Dawn Elkjer.
The mother of two says with the money she saved she can purchase accessories for her children’s costumes.
There’s also another way to save; bring in a bag of pet food to Halloween Bootique inBakenPark,Rapid Cityto get 25% off one item. It’s no trick, it’s a treat for animals at the Black Hills Humane Society.