Many people who have filed are already saying oops. Perhaps you forgot to add deductions or maybe you missed a tax credit. No problem!
You can amend your return by following these eight steps from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Use the 1040X form.
- File your amendment by paper not electronically.
- Don’t file if you made a math error or forgot to attach a form. The IRS will contact you.
- Be sure to enter the tax year you are filing for on the form.
- If you have multiple amendments, mail them separately.
- Don’t forget attachments such as forms or schedules.
- Wait for your original refund before claiming an additional one.
- And pay the tax before the due date to limit interest, even if you think you owe additional tax.
You can amend a return within three years of originally filing or two years from the date you paid the tax.